Witnesses Questioned on TV Station Gun Incident

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court is continuing to question witnesses to an incident last month in which a Cambodian News Channel (CNC) executive allegedly held a gun to a colleague’s head, court officials said Tuesday.

Huy Vannak, the news editor of the country’s only 24-hour news channel, is accused of threatening Ros Dina, the planning and assignment manager at sister stations CTN and MyTV, with a pistol during an argument at CNC’s Phnom Penh offices on June 27.

Municipal Court deputy prosecutor Keo Socheat on Tuesday said that a number of witnesses had already been questioned and that the investigation was continuing. He declined to elaborate further.

“We are continuing the procedure of questioning witnesses, but I don’t remember how many witnesses [there are],” said Mr. Socheat’s clerk, Sam Virak.

According to court documents, Mr. Dina is suing Mr. Vannak for “defamation, insult and intentional attempted murder” and has demanded 200 million riel, or about $50,000, in compensation.

[email protected]

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA new weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.