Warrants Issued for Two in Alleged B70 Attack

Warrants for the arrest of two sus­pects involved with Sunday night’s gun attack on a Kompong Speu village, allegedly by up to 10 uniformed soldiers, were lodged at the provincial courthouse Thursday, military police said.

Thloak Sroy, 24, was killed in the hail of gunfire on the village in Kompong Speu’s Kong Pisei district. Witnesses claimed the attack followed the beating of reported members of RCAF’s elite Brigade 70 who were involved in a fight at a party earlier in the night.

“Now we have leads in the shooting,” Kompong Speu Mili­tary Police Commander Men Si­born said Thursday. “We have now to ask for arrest warrants.”

Men Siborn, however, refused to reveal the names of the two suspects and would not confirm whether they are soldiers.

Kompong Speu Provincial Court Prosecutor Ven Yoeun said Thursday he will study the warrant requests before passing the case to an investigating judge.

Ven Yoeun said an arrest warrant would likely be issued next week after the names of the two suspects have been verified.

Brigade 70 Commander Mao Sophan said on Tuesday that after checking the nicknames of the suspects allegedly involved in the shooting, they were not on his troop list.

It would be difficult to identify individuals from their nicknames, he said.

RCAF Deputy Commander-in-Chief Meas Sophea said on Thursday he had yet to receive a report on the incident.

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA new weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.