U.S. says denied full access to Cambodia naval base during visit

The U.S. embassy in Phnom Penh said on Friday its defence attaché had been refused full access to Cambodia’s largest naval base during an invited visit, just days after Washington expressed concern about China’s military activities at the base.

While on a trip to Cambodia on June 1, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman raised questions about China’s military presence at the Ream Naval Base and asked for clarification about the demolition of U.S.-funded buildings there.

Prime Minister Hun Sen agreed after meeting Sherman to let the U.S. embassy conduct regular visits, with defence attaché Colonel Marcus M. Ferrara invited to the base on Friday.

In full: https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/us-says-denied-full-access-cambodia-naval-base-during-visit-2021-06-11/

© 2021, All rights reserved.