Welder Starts Blaze in Meanchey; 35 Homes Razed

A large fire sparked by roof repair work destroyed at least 35 homes Sunday in Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey commune. Neth Vantha, director of the Phnom Penh Municipal Fire Department, said a man welding a villager’s roof sparked the fire.

“We tried our best to help people but we could not reach the location because the roads are narrow so it is hard for us to get into,” Mr. Vantha said.

“We are sorry to take a bit too long to stop the fire because we cannot reach the point.”

Hor Sovann, 30, a villager who lost his house in the fire, said he operated a rooming house just 30 meters from where the fire began.

“I heard people shouting for help and I had a look and I saw smoke,” he said, adding the fire spread fast.

“I just borrowed some money from the bank to build my house but now it was destroyed by fire,” he said. “I am worried about paying the bank.”

[email protected]

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.