Thais To Train RCAF Troops

The Cambodian military will send 44 soldiers to Thailand next month for training with Thai­land’s army.

After they complete their in­struction, the soldiers will return to train RCAF troops, said Deputy RCAF Commander Mean Sarin.

“It is always good to have assistance from the Thai government,” Mean Sarin said. “[The Thais] provide training to the RCAF every year.”

The soldiers will train in shooting, parachuting and other military techniques.

According to officials, the military has no up-to-date materials for training soldiers. “We can provide only salaries, medicine and some local training, but no modern weapon [training] for the RCAF,” said Prince Sisowath Sirirath, co-minister of defense.

Cambodia’s military budget this year is $80 million, down $5 million from the previous year.

This year marks the first time since 1993 that the military budget has been cut.

Approximately 85 percent of the military budget—or $68 million—pays for troop salaries, clothing, food, fuel and health care. The remaining 15 percent is used for training expenses or repairs to aircraft, ships and military forts.

 

 

 

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA new weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.