The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has yet to issue an arrest warrant for a real-estate magnate who was caught on video viciously beating a well-known female TV personality at a Phnom Penh restaurant earlier this month, according to police.
The video of Sok Bun repeatedly hitting and kicking Ek Socheata in the head circulated online last week, drawing outrage from social media users, politicians and gender equality activists, who called for Mr. Bun to be stripped of his royally bestowed honorific of “oknha.”
But the police officer heading the investigation into the beating, which occurred in the early hours of July 2, said the municipal court had yet to issue an arrest warrant for Mr. Bun, who he said fled to Singapore on Tuesday.
“We are waiting for the prosecutor to issue an arrest warrant,” said Sok Khemarin, director of the Interior Ministry’s penal police department.
Put Theavy, the lawyer for Ms. Socheata, said the case was still being handled as a civil case based on a complaint filed the day of the incident, and that Mr. Bun had until August 21 to appear at court for questioning.
“If he does not appear before the deadline, the prosecutor will charge him,” he said. “It’s wrong because this is a criminal case.”
Hing Bunthorn, the deputy prosecutor who issued the summons, could not be reached.
Ms. Socheata, also known as Sasa, said Sunday that her family had rejected an offer of $40,000 from representatives of Mr. Bun to settle the case out of court.
“They may think everything can be solved with money. We only need the legal process,” Ms. Socheata said, adding that she planned to return to Phnom Penh from Bangkok on Monday after receiving medical treatment for injuries to her head and face.
“When I go back, I will meet my lawyers and father to discuss the complaint against Mr. Bun,” she said.
Mr. Bun began attacking Ms. Socheata after she tried to prevent him from taking away an inebriated woman who owned the restaurant, according to the entertainer.
© 2015, All rights reserved.