The stepbrother of Britain’s late Princess Diana died in a rented villa in Phnom Penh Monday, police said.
Adam Shand Kydd, 50, was already dead from an apparent sleeping pill overdose and naked in his bedroom when police arrived at about 6 pm to investigate, said Prach Nhat, autopsy police for Phnom Penh municipality.
Kydd’s cleaning woman found him and alerted police, who found empty packaging for sleeping pills in the room, Prach Nhat said Wednesday. Police could not determine the time Kydd actually died or how many pills he took, although it was “many,” Prach Nhat said Wednesday.
Kydd is the son of businessman Peter Shand Kydd, who divorced his son’s mother to marry Francis Roche, the mother of Princess Diana, Agence-France Presse reported from London.
Kydd arrived in Phnom Penh April 2 and was living in Phsar Thmei II commune, Daun Penh district, Pol Pithiey, director of foreigner police, said Wednesday. He apparently was living alone, Pol Pithiey said.
A cleaning lady said Wednesday that Shand Kydd had recently complained of a headache, a stomachache and heart palpitations, Prach Nhat said.
The body was taken to Calmette Hospital morgue and preserved, said Dr Jean-Baptiste Duforcq of Calmette Hospital.
John Mitchell, deputy head of the British Embassy, would not comment on Wednesday.