Seven-Year-Old Girl Dies in Svay Rieng House Fire

A 7-year-old girl died on Saturday when an electrical fault sparked a fire at her grandparent’s home in Svay Rieng province’s Svay Chrum district, officials said Sunday.

Meas Sok, Chhoeuteal commune chief, said a fire erupted in the home at about 12:45 a.m. while Kim Chanthorn, 7, and her 16-year-old aunt were sleeping.

“The girl died in the fire because the fire happened while they were sleeping and they did not know about the fire until it was a full blaze,” he said.

“The fire was caused by a short circuit and it completely destroyed the house.”

Mr. Sok said that the 16-year-old survived by “jumping” out of the house through its front door.

“I’m very shocked to see the girl die in the fire. It is so painful,” he said.

Im Nhean, Chhoeuteal commune police chief, said the fire was caused by an electrical fault and started at a power socket.

“Based on the witnesses and the surviving victim, we don’t think it is an arson case,” he said.

[email protected]

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA new weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.