Seven Dead, Over 30 Hospitalized After Drinking Methanol-Laced Wine

Seven people died and more than 30 others were hospitalized this week in Banteay Meanchey province after drinking a methanol-laced, locally-made wine product, which officials have blamed for the spate of apparent poisonings.

Some 34 people have been hospitalized after drinking “Taing Kuoy,” which is sold in a half-liter plastic bottle with a label describing it as a traditional Chinese herbal wine with supposed health benefits, Health Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said late Friday.

Two people were sent to Siem Reap Provincial Hospital and were in serious condition, at least 25 were stable at a hospital in Banteay Meanchey and two others were being treated at home after drinking the wine product, said Roeun Sothy, head of the provincial health department’s technical office.

In full:

Related Stories

Exit mobile version