More than 60 workers collapsed at the Sun Best garment factory in Kandal province’s Ang Snuol district on Thursday morning, according to a factory representative.
The representative, Ngeth Sopheak, said she thought the 66 female workers fainted out of fright after two electric short circuits caused wires to spark at the factory that morning.
“When the short circuit happened again, a garment worker ran away and fainted because she was afraid of the short circuit, and others surrounding her fainted too because they saw one person faint,” she said.
Ms. Sopheak said all 66 workers were treated at the district health center and a private clinic, and had recovered from the mass collapse.
Ath Thon, head of the Coalition of Cambodia Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union, said there were 1,806 reported faintings at 34 factories in 2014, significantly higher than the 823 cases of workers fainting the year before.
© 2015, All rights reserved.