Police Yet to Question Anyone Over Alleged September Rape

Police in Kompong Chhnang province said Wednesday they have yet to question anyone over the alleged gang rape and attempted murder of a 14-year-old girl in September, more than two weeks after the victim woke from a coma and said a friend lured her into a school to be attacked by four men.

The victim was found lying unconscious on a Kompong Chhnang City sidewalk on the night of September 21 about five hours after she left home to attend a concert with her 16-year-old friend, according to her aunt, who said that locals who found the girl said she had been in a motorbike crash.

The girl was rushed to Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh with serious head injuries, and at that time a doctor noticed her genitals were also injured, her aunt said.

After lying in a coma for weeks, the girl awoke on October 15 and explained how she had been led by her friend to a school where she was ambushed, beaten and raped, according to her father.

“She told me that night there were four men in the school, one man grabbed her arm and one man removed her clothes and raped her while another stood nearby laughing,” he said. “She said she tried to fight back but one man used a stick to beat her head and then she fell unconscious and could not remember anything else.”

The father added that he had filed a complaint over the rape and attempted murder on October 19.

A complaint was also filed against the 16-year-old friend.

Srey Soda, deputy chief of the provincial police’s serious crimes bureau, said Wednesday that officials were still “processing” the attempted murder and rape complaint.

“It is difficult to investigate because the case happened on September 21, and we just got the complaint last month,” Mr. Soda said, adding that police would summon anyone who was with the victim on the evening “as soon as possible.”

Mr. Soda declined to comment on why the 16-year-old friend had not been questioned.


Related Stories

Exit mobile version