Over 200 Families Ordered To Leave Old Homes

More than 200 families have been told to leave their homes in a dilapidated Chamkar Mon district building complex formerly owned by state-run Electricite du Cambodge, according to a notice issued to residents and signed by Phnom Penh Governor Kep Chuktema on Thursday.

Kep Chuktema has warned residents that the three buildings in Tonle Bassac commune could collapse if they don’t relocate.

“According to skilled department examination, those three buildings are very old, the composing structure has lost its quality,” the governor’s notice stated.

The property will be bought by CTL Cambodia Property Ltd, ac­cord­ing to Sak Setha, director gen­er­al of the Interior Ministry’s Staff De­partment and president of an in­ter-ministerial committee facilitating the sale with the private company.

Chhuon Sam Ith, chief of Vil­lage Number 11 where the buildings are located, said they previously belonged to EdC but its man­­agement has been transferred to the municipality.

EdC employees have lived in the Tonle Bassac commune build­ings since 1979, residents said, some of who are refusing to leave.

Nou Sareing, 49, said Chhuon Sam Ith has promised him $8,000 in return for vacating his home.

“I have no choice, I have to sell my home because it is very old. But, Nou Sareing said, “that money it is not enough to buy new land.”

Chhuon Sam Ith said residents are not being forced out.

“We didn’t force them to sell their houses,” Chhuon Sam Ith said, adding that all but 10 homeowners have already agreed to sell up for prices ranging between $3,500 and $30,000.

 

 

 

 

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.