The National Election Committee has struck 393 names out of the 5.4 million on the official voter list for reasons including multiple registration and ineligible voters. But the single most common reason for removal from the list was death.
Officials said Saturday the NEC is probing more names.
“This is only the first step,” NEC spokesman Samraing Kamsan said. “NEC is considering the removal of around 1,000 further persons from the electoral register, but no decision has yet been made.”
NEC figures released Saturday showed that 157 voters had been reported dead. NEC Information Officer Leng Sochea said most had died in the last few weeks.
A total of 127 voters were struck from the list because they had registered in more than one place, while 23 were removed because they were underage.
The NEC said 78 were taken off for having “incorrect nationality.” The body announced earlier last week that 53 Vietnamese had been struck from the lists.
A board member for the Coalition for Free and Fair Elections said Sunday that the move could be a sign that the NEC, which has been criticized for some members’ CPP connections, may be serious about eliminating election fraud.
“It’s more than a token,” said Chea Vannath, acting director of the Center for Social Development. “It’s not perfect yet but at least it catches the basic ones.”
© 1998 – 2013, All rights reserved.