The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday delayed the trial of 11 CNRP activists facing harsh sentences for protest-related charges, but did not explain the delay or set a new trial date.
“The court decided to delay the trial until a later date,” Presiding Judge Lim Makaron said, adding that the court did not issue new summonses for five of the activists who were released on bail from prison last week.
Chuong Choungy, a lawyer for the CNRP, said that the failure to summon all 11 defendants was the reason for the delay.
“According to the law, the court needs to issue a summons for the five people again,” he said. The five activists were released from prison just days after the CPP and CNRP finalized the creation of a reformed National Election Committee.
The activists are charged with participating in an insurrection for their presence at a July demonstration that turned violent.
Cheng Penghap, a lawyer for 39 government security guards who claim to have been injured by protesters, said that he hoped the trial would move forward soon.
“My clients are victims, so we also want the trial to happen soon because my clients will receive some compensation,” he said.
© 2015, All rights reserved.