The Ministry of Culture on Tuesday rejected the opposition CNRP’s request to hold a ceremony at the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum for those who died under the Khmer Rouge.
In a letter dated Monday to the CNRP, Chamroeun Vantha, director general of the Culture Ministry’s administration department, said permission for the CNRP to hold the April 17 event at the museum could not be granted due to the recent ban on public gatherings.
“The Ministry of Culture is not able to give permission to the CNRP as this ceremony appears to be a gathering of people, so they should have asked for permission from the authorities first,” the letter reads.
CNRP lawmaker Ho Vann said that following the ministry’s rejection he drafted a letter to Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong seeking permission to hold the event at the Choeung Ek Genocidal Center, where the opposition has previously held its annual ceremony.
He said he expects 700 people to attend. City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche said it is likely the governor will grant the CNRP’s request as long as the ceremony is religious and not political.
© 2014, All rights reserved.