The Justice Ministry on Monday said it had completed its investigation into bribery allegations against ousted Phnom Penh Municipal Court director Ang Mealaktei but refused to reveal the results.
Mr. Mealaktei was removed from the post in February, hours after Prime Minister Hun Sen suggested in a public speech that a multi-million dollar bribe might have paved the way for a controversial court decision earlier in the month.
Yesterday, Justice Ministry spokesman Kim Santepheap said the investigation into unspecified “irregularities” in Mr. Mealaktei’s work was complete.
“The inspection team at the Justice Ministry has finished the investigation,” he said.
“It is preparing to send the case to the Supreme Council of the Magistracy.”
The council oversees and disciplines the country’s judges and made the decision to remove Mr. Mealaktei, who was promptly given an unspecified position at the Justice Ministry.
His removal followed Mr. Hun Sen’s criticism of a municipal court decision to overturn a denial of bail to the parents Thong Sarath, a fugitive general charged with the 2014 murder of businessman Ung Meng Chue.
© 2015, All rights reserved.