Minister: Government Can ‘Terminate’ ECCC Charg

Information Minister and government spokesman Khieu Kan­harith said Sunday that the government could “terminate” the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cam­bodia if its international judges charge retired King Norodom Sihanouk for any Khmer Rouge era entanglements.

The ECCC operates under Cam­­bo­dian law, which guarantees Norodom Sihanouk immunity, he said. Any attempt to violate that im­munity, he said, would be “illegal” and thus justify disbandment.

“The government is able to terminate the ECCC,” Khieu Kan­harith said.

The tribunal has made no public move to investigate Norodom Sihanouk or to call him as a witness.

However Peter Foster, the UN public affairs officer for the ECCC, reiterated Sunday that it is up to the court’s co-prosecutors and co-investigating judges to decide whom to call as a witness and whom to indict.

The UN has yet to respond to the retired King’s invitation, posted at his Web site Thursday, to come to the Royal Palace Sept 8 to talk about his activities during the Khmer Rouge years.

Foster said Sunday the UN was aw­are of the retired King’s posted in­vitation, but, Foster added, “He hasn’t approached any official from the UN at all. Nothing has been sent to the court, no letter or memo.”

Norodom Sihanouk wrote in his invitation that the interview would render testimony at the ECCC unnecessary, but UN tribunal staffers say privately that if such an interview were not conducted under oath it would not be legally binding and that broadcasting testimony could compromise the judicial process.

Questions about Norodom Sihanouk’s possible role in the ECCC were brought up Aug 20 by a statement from the little-known NGO Cambodian Action Commit­tee for Justice and Equa­lity, which called for stripping the retired King’s immunity so he could be charged by the ECCC.

The Cambodian government and Prime Minister Hun Sen last week came to Norodom Siha­nouk’s defense, citing his constitutional immunity and the fact that he had himself been a victim of the Khmer Rouge.

The retired King released m­e­mos to the press Saturday detailing his suffering under the Khmer Rouge, who, he said, killed five of his children and countless members of his extended family.

He closed by saying he would continue his missive on the subject.

(Reporting by Yun Samean, Erika Kinetz and Douglas Gillison)

 

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.