Malaysian Woman Charged by Court in SUV Hit-and-Run Case

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday charged a 28-year-old Malaysian woman with causing injuries while driving after she smashed a luxury SUV she was driving into a tuk-tuk full of passengers and fled the scene.

Edrea Chua Ning Wei crashed the Mercedes SUV into a tuk-tuk on Sisowath Quay in Daun Penh district on Friday night, according to traffic police.

Her American boyfriend, Victor Boyle, then took the wheel and drove away, according to police, who soon pulled over the couple and arrested them.

Mr. Boyle, the general manager of Soh Sei Digital Media, was released Saturday, but Ms. Chua Ning Wei was detained and taken to court Monday, where deputy prosecutor Um Sopheak formally laid charges.

“We charged her with driving causing people injury following Article 80 of the traffic law,” Mr. Sopheak said. “Following this article, she faces six days to one year in prison.”

Mr. Sopheak added that Ms. Chua Ning Wei was released on bail, but would not disclose the amount of bond paid.

“We are not detaining her for four reasons,” he said. “First, her lawyer already guaranteed her [posted bail]. Second, she agreed to keep her passport with us. Third, the victims dropped their complaint against her. And fourth, those victims suffered minor injuries.”

According to Mr. Sopheak, Ms. Chua Ning Wei agreed to pay $1,800 in compensation to the tuk-tuk driver to cover his medical bills and repairs to his vehicle.

Outside the courtroom Monday, Mr. Boyle—who according to court records was charged with aggravated battery in 2008 in Monroe County, Florida, and has an outstanding arrest warrant for failure to appear in court—declined to discuss the case.

“Give us a couple of days, please,” he said. “It’s been an absolute nightmare.”

Mr. Boyle also declined to comment on his 2008 charge and arrest warrant.

“I will respond to that, but not now,” he said.

[email protected], [email protected]

Related Stories

Latest News