The Khmer Rouge tribunal needs $58.8 million to see it through to the end of 2015, according to a copy of the proposed budget, but there are concerns that these funding needs will not be met.
The budget, which is presently before donors at the U.N. in New York but has yet to be endorsed by them, appears in an October 16 report by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to the General Assembly, and “seeks the Assembly’s approval of a subvention, or grant, of up to $51.1 million for the period from 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2015” from member states to help the court complete its work trying senior leaders of the Khmer Rouge regime.
“For 2014 to 2015, the total funding requirements are $30.7 million for 2014 and $28.1 million for 2015, for a total of $58.8 million,” the report says.
“Of that amount, $46.4 million is for the international component and $12.4 million for the national component.”
The proposed budget does not include any provisions for the establishment of a second trial panel, which was suggested by the Supreme Court Chamber as a way of continuing to try Nuon Chea, 87, and Khieu Samphan, 82, whose first trial ended last month. A verdict is due next year.
National staff went on strike twice this year over unpaid salaries, and the court has limped along on sporadic funding for years. As a way to offset this, Mr. Ban suggests in his report that a grant of $51.1 million be made available by donors.
That amounts to $42.3 million for the international component and $8.8 million for the national component—which is supposed to be covered by the Cambodian government, but has consistently fallen short in funds to pay national salaries—for the two-year period.
Mr. Ban said this amount would be augmented by existing pledges toward the international component of $4.1 million and $3.6 million.
The court is to hold a three-day trial management meeting starting December 11, during which the possibility of holding a second trial in Case 002 will be discussed.