The Preah Sihanouk provincial governor said Monday he has canceled the notoriously raucous “Kazantip” festival that was slated to take place on Koh Puos island later this month, citing concerns over “sexy activities” as the reason for pulling the event.
Chhit Sokhom admitted his authorities had been too quick to give the go-ahead to the festival, which was held in the Crimean Peninsula before being moved to Georgia in 2014 due to conflict in the region and was due to be held on the island off Sihanoukville for the first time.
“We have seen through social networks that this festival has a lot of sexy activities including sexy dancing, having sex in public and gambling,” said Mr. Sokhom.
“We decided to ban the festival because it could affect our tradition, culture and our youth,” he added.
Organizers of the 10-day festival, which labels itself “a republic” and boasts its own “constitution,” were initially given approval by authorities on January 30, said Mr. Sokhom, who had expected around 1,000 revelers a day.
Y Sokha, deputy provincial police chief, said last month he had been in discussions with the festival organizers and that they had assured him it was simply a “friendly meal party.”