The husband of a woman attacked with acid at a market in Takeo province in November plans to file complaints Monday with the Supreme Council of the Magistracy and the Anti-Corruption Unit, claiming local court officials are to blame for a lack of action in the case.
Market vendor Muong Sreymom, 31, was left with burns on 44 percent of her body, while her 2-year-old daughter suffered minor injuries to her face and arm, after rival vendor Deng Leakhena, 22, and her 28-year-old brother Deng Meas allegedly attacked them with acid over a dispute involving customers.
The Takeo Provincial Court charged the siblings with intentional violence using strong acid and intentional violence under aggravating circumstances, and warrants have been issued for their arrest—but neither suspect has been apprehended.
Luy Sovannaroath, the victim’s husband, said Sunday that the suspects’ parents also took part in the crime and helped their children escape, but are not being held accountable.
“I decided to file a complaint against deputy prosecutor Tin Sochetra because there is irregularity in his actions,” said Mr. Sovannaroath, who also filed a complaint against Mr. Sochetra with the Justice Ministry last week.
“It was an injustice for my family when [Mr. Sochetra] released the parents of the suspects, who also participated in this attack,” Mr. Sovannaroath said.
Mr. Sochetra on Sunday confirmed that he had questioned and released the parents of Ms. Leakhena and Mr. Meas, but said he could not recall when.
Mr. Sochetra said he had received conflicting testimony from witnesses over the presence of the parents at the market during the attack and therefore requested that the investigating judge question them again in the future.
“I have done everything according to all procedures,” he said. “I don’t know why he is angry with me. There are no irregularities.”