Hun Sen To Seek Revocation of Thomico’s Warrant

Prime Minister Hun Sen will ask the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to withdraw an arrest warrant for his once bitter critic Prince Siso­wath Thom­ico, according to a letter ob­­tained from the Information Min­i­stry on Thursday.

In a letter dated Wednesday, Prince Thomico said he never in­tended to harm the prime minister’s dignity or reputation when he wrote a letter and gave an interview about the controversial supplemental border treaty in October.

“I regret that with these unintentional actions that I have done af­fected the Samdech head of the royal government,” Prince Thom­ico wrote in the letter obtained from the Information Ministry.

“Therefore, I ask Samdech to forgive me,” the prince wrote. “I would like to express my warm ap­preciation for Samdech’s kindness,” he added.

Prince Thomico fled the country in October after a defamation lawsuit was filed against him on Hun Sen’s behalf over comments he made about the border. He is cur­rent­ly in Beijing.

In his reply dated Thursday, Hun Sen said that besides withdrawing the ar­rest charge, he will ask the court, through the government’s lawyer, to “order this situation to be calm.”

“I am a national leader,” Hun Sen wrote. “There are hundreds and thousands of things I need to work on. Therefore, I don’t want anything, besides making the situation calm for the sake of the nation.”

Prince Thomico could not be reach­ed by e-mail on Thursday.

Hun Sen’s announcement came days after he said he would try to get defamation charges and lawsuits filed by the government dropped against any activist who writes him a letter.

Besides Prince Thomico, Cam­bo­dian Center for Human Rights President Kem Sokha, CCHR De­puty Director Pa Nguon Teang, Bee­hive Radio station owner Mam Son­ando and Cambo­dian Inde­pen­dent Teachers’ Asso­ciation Presi­dent Rong Chhun have sent the prime minister conciliatory letters or released statements.

But Som Chandina, the lawyer representing Kem Sokha and Pa Nguon Teang, said that as of Thursday night, no charges or lawsuits had been dropped.

Investigating Judge Sao Meach has said he will continue his investigations despite the prime minister’s statements.

 

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.