The Ministry of Defense on Wednesday refused to publicly identify an official who crashed a state-owned vehicle into two motorbikes last week, killing two people and badly injuring a third.
A traffic police officer identified the official only as “high-ranking.”
“We have found the car’s driver and our authorities are working on this case,” said Chhum Socheat, spokesman for the Ministry of Defense.
“The car belonged to the [Ministry of Defense] and an official used it.” Mr. Socheat refused to give the name and position of the official involved in the accident. Prak Chandara, deputy chief of the Phnom Penh Traffic Police, called the tragic accident a “big case” Wednesday.
“This case involved a high-ranking official in [the] Ministry of Defense, so we are not able to work on it because we are low-ranking police,” he said.
Two people died and a third was injured on Friday when a Toyota Tundra pickup truck slammed into two motorbikes near Norodom and Mao Tse Toung Boulevards.
The driver escaped on foot.