Health Official Freed on Bail After Hit-and-Run

A health official who injured four people when he rear-ended two motorbikes Saturday night in Kompong Cham province and then attempted to flee from police was released on bail Tuesday after he paid compensation to the victims, officials said Wednesday.

Deputy provincial police chief Heng Sambath said his department handed the case over to the provincial court Tuesday after questioning Horn Chinheat, 44, a physician and the head of the O’Reang-ou district health center in Tbong Khmum province.

“As far as I know, the doctor is out on bail and civil compensation has been [paid],” Mr. Sambath said, adding that he did not know how much had been paid or to whom.

Police said that Dr. Chinheat was stopped and arrested in Kompong Siem district after fleeing the scene of the collisions in Chamkar Loeu district.

Two ambulances were dispatched to the site of the accident to transport the injured to the provincial referral hospital, but one blew a tire and crashed into two houses shortly after picking up two of the victims, according to police.

Two relatives of the victims riding in the ambulance were injured along with four others in the houses, police said.

Provincial prosecutor Huot Vuthy said the court was still investigating the case and that Dr. Chinheat had not yet been charged.

Keo Vannak, director of the Tbong Khmum provincial health department, said Wednesday that Dr. Chinheat was back at work.

Dr. Chinheat could not be reached for comment.

Yin Sinath, director of the Kompong Cham provincial referral hospital, said his center received seven of the 10 victims on Saturday after the accident.

“One was sent to Phnom Penh immediately because he suffered a head injury,” Mr. Sinath said. “Four went home this morning. Of the two who are still in the hospital, one suffered a break in her collarbone and another man suffered an injury to his abdomen.”

He said that the other three were not admitted to the hospital.

[email protected]

Related Stories

Latest News