Phnom Penh Municipal Governor Kep Chuktema filed a disinformation lawsuit Wednesday against pro-Norodom Ranariddh Party daily newspaper The Voice of Khmer Youth for printing an article that alleged he sold City Hall to a private developer, an official said.
The suit, which pertains to an article printed July 17 in the newspaper, was filed on behalf of Kep Chuktema by City Hall’s Cabinet Chief Nuon Sameth against the paper’s publisher Keo Sothea, Phnom Penh Municipal Court chief of clerks Prak Savouth said Thursday.
Keo Sothea said the article was based on anonymous sources and City Hall should have sent a formal letter of complaint denying the report prior to suing him.
Kep Chuktema was unavailable Thursday and Nuon Sameth said he was too busy to speak to a reporter.
Municipal Deputy Governor Mann Chhoeun said he did not have any knowledge of a deal to sell City Hall to a private developer and declined further comment.
Last month, CPP lawmaker Cheam Yeap said a representative of the South Korea-backed housing project Camko City met with Prime Minister Hun Sen and offered to donate a new building to City Hall at the planned residential development in the city’s Russei Keo district.