Major General Thong Sarath, a Defense Ministry official accused of ordering his bodyguards to murder a tycoon last year, has appealed the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s decision to convict and jail him and his parents on charges of illegal weapons possession, the family’s lawyer said Sunday.
Lin Lanin said his clients appealed the June 15 decision—which saw Maj. Gen. Sarath sentenced to 30 months in prison and his parents, Keo Sary and Thong Chamroeun, to two years—on Tuesday.
“We appealed because all three of my clients cannot accept the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s verdict,” she said.
“My clients did not do what they are accused of.”
Ms. Lanin said she did not know when the case would be sent to the Court of Appeal. Officials at the court could not be reached Sunday.
Maj. Gen. Sarath still faces charges of premeditated murder for allegedly orchestrating the November murder of Shimmex Group chairman Ung Meng Chue, who was gunned down outside a fruit shop in Phnom Penh.
Five of his security guards are also awaiting trial for allegedly carrying out the murder.