Police in Kandal province on Tuesday arrested the owner of an electrified rat trap that killed a fisherman in a flooded rice field behind the suspect’s home on Monday night, an official said.
Neth Tha, 41, a farmer living in Koh Thom district’s Chhoeu Khmao commune, had set up the crude wire trap to protect his paddy from rats, which he would also collect and eat after they had been zapped, according to district police chief Chhoeum Bunchhorn.
Mr. Bunchhorn said Mr. Tha was apprehended on Tuesday morning after a local fisherman, Cen Phal, 46, was electrocuted upon accidentally touching the trap the night before while fishing in the flooded field with his son-in-law.
“After he was electrocuted, his son-in-law ran to the village for help,” he said. “But he died before villagers arrived.”
The police chief said the suspect would be sent to court today, while police planned to collect other illegal rat traps in the area and explain the dangers of the devices to their owners.
“Electrocution is more dangerous than mines because it can kill people silently,” Mr. Bunchhorn said.