Family members of striking garment factory workers killed, wounded and missing after military police violently suppressed last Friday’s Veng Sreng Street protests have begun preparing complaints to file with authorities and rights NGOs.
At least five people were shot dead, and more than 40 were injured, after military police armed with AK-47 assault rifles put down a protest of stone-throwing striking workers.
Chiev Panith, 20, the wife of Sam Ravy, who was shot dead by military police, said that she would file a complaint to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court seeking an investigation into her husband’s death, and to identify the killer.
“Unidentified authorities…shot to death my husband, Sam Ravy, at 10:15 a.m. during the crackdown on the worker’s demonstration,” Ms. Panith said in her written complaint, which will be submitted to the court.
“My husband was shot in the lower left chest, had his nose and jaw beaten by authorities, and died at 10:30 a.m. at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital, leaving two children—a two year old and a 10-month-old—and myself behind.”
“This was an illegal crackdown on a demonstration. I want the perpetrators to be punished according to the law,” Ms. Panith said by telephone.
Khem Soeun, 41, on Wednesday also filed a complaint with local rights group Adhoc concerning his missing 16-year-old son Khem Sophat, who he said he feared is dead after receiving information that he had been shot at the Veng Sreng Street clashes.
“We have been looking for him everywhere—in pagodas, hospitals, with his friends, but we cannot find him,” Mr. Soeun said on Wednesday.
“The government is responsible for my missing child, because his friend who was shot [by the military police] said that the police had taken him away in the same incident.”
Mr. Soeun said Thursday that he feared his son’s dead body had been taken by the military police who opened fire on the protesters.