Former residents of the Dey Krahorm community in Phnom Penh, who were violently evicted Jan 24, protested outside City Hall on Friday demanding that the municipality resolve compensation requests from 52 families.
As they had at a protest on Wednesday at the headquarters of the 7NG company, which is planning to develop the Dey Krahorm site, demonstrators held a banner accusing the municipality and 7NG of destroying their homes.
The developer 7NG has recognized 91 affected families as deserving compensation, said Han Sar a representative for the families.
Only 14 of those families so far have not accepted deals, but 7NG has not recognized another 30 families who claim to have documentation proving their residence in Dey Krahorm, and eight families who lack documentation, Han Sar said.
Former residents are demanding $20,000 for each family, he said, but are also willing to accept a previous offer made by 7NG of $15,000 plus bonuses like rice, noodles and about $190.
“We live with bare hands now ,and I still hope that a fair deal will be given to us because almost all national institutions support us,” Han Sar said.
At the protest residents distributed a letter from King Sihamoni stating that the King had received photographs and a letter documenting the eviction and difficulties it has caused for families.
“I would like to forward these above letters to Samdech Prime Minister [Hun Sen], the head of the Royal Government, to review,” the letter reads.
Deputy Municipal Governor Mann Chhoeun said Friday that only 1 percent of the 1,465 families who lived at Dey Krahorm have not yet struck deals.
“The company now solves this problem step by step,” he said.
Families who have not been recognized by the company can rent homes at the relocation site, he added, but he did not answer a question about whether they should receive compensation.
Representatives for 7NG could not be reached for comment Friday.