Four more people were confirmed dead Tuesday due to rising floodwaters in several provinces, bringing the total number of fatalities in this year’s rainy season flooding to eight, while some 4,000 families have now had to evacuate their homes.
National Committee for Disaster Management vice president Nhem Vanda said Tuesday that, in addition to the four deaths confirmed as of Sunday, one more person in Stung Treng province and another in Tbong Khmum province were also confirmed dead.
In Kompong Cham province, Governor Lun Limthai said a 3-year-old child and a 1-year-old child were also killed by the floods in his jurisdiction on Thursday and Tuesday, respectively.
Mr. Vanda said rising waters have forced 4,000 families to leave their homes in search of higher ground in the provinces of Kompong Cham, Kratie, Stung Treng and Tbong Khmum.
About 1,000 hectares of cornfields and 400 hectares of rice paddy have also been damaged in Kratie, he added. And while water levels were lower than they were during last year’s floods, Mr. Vanda said they were still on the rise in most places.
© 2014, All rights reserved.