Wanted Russian ex-billionaire Sergei Polonsky still faces charges for his role in allegedly assaulting six Cambodian boatmen off the coast of Sihanoukville in December 2012, provincial court officials said Wednesday.
“I think that the case will be heard soon. We cannot let it go for too long,” said Judge Mong Monychakrya, director of Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court, referring additional questions to Judge Svay Tonh, who is in charge of the case.
Judge Tonh said a trial date had not yet been scheduled. “I am still reviewing it. Mr. Polonsky’s case was sent to me about half a month ago. I cannot estimate when it will be heard,” he said, declining to comment further.
On Monday, the Court of Appeal freed Mr. Polonsky and suspended his extradition to Russia, where he faces multimillion-dollar embezzlement charges, saying he must first face a Cambodian court for his role in the 2012 attack.
The Cambodian officials’ comments come after Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported on Tuesday that one of Mr. Polonsky’s lawyers, Alexander Karabanov, said the charges against his client in Preah Sihanouk province had been dropped after a settlement was reached with the boatmen.
In January 2013, a lawyer for the boatmen said his clients had accepted compensation of $20,000 and withdrawn their complaints from the court, but said Mr. Polonsky and the two other Russians involved still faced charges.
Mr. Polonsky and his colleagues spent three months in jail for the incident and were granted bail in April.
In July, a Russian court charged Mr. Polonsky in absentia for his alleged role in embezzling $176 million from investors in a Moscow construction project. He was arrested in November upon a request from Russian authorities and after being placed on Interpol’s Most Wanted list.
Benson Samay, who represented Mr. Polonsky in his extradition case, said he did not know about the Preah Sihanouk case.