Sihanoukville authorities say they are awaiting Interior Ministry orders on how to proceed with 52 allegedly illegal Chinese immigrants detained in the coastal town since their arrests Jan 6.
Doung Saroeun, Sihanoukville police chief, said Wednesday the Chinese have caused problems for police by refusing to eat and by escaping. He said four of the original 56 have escaped so far.
The group refused to eat food earlier in the week, demanding they be brought to the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh, Doung Saroeun said. “I don’t know how to deal with these illegal Chinese immigrants. I sent a report to the Interior Ministry and I’m waiting for a decision.”
Puth Chandarith, second vice governor of Sihanoukville, said he is also waiting to hear from the Interior Ministry. “We are trying to protect them as much as we can until we get orders from the Ministry of Interior,” he said.