Ten villagers had died and 45 others hospitalized in southwest Cambodia’s Kampot province after drinking locally made rice wine that was suspicious of containing a high level of methanol, a provincial health chief said on Tuesday.
The incident happened in two villages in Kampong Trach district. The victims consumed tainted wine at a funeral of one of their neighbors on May 21, Nha Bunthan, chief of the Kampot provincial health department said.
“The victims had similar symptoms such as eye irritation, chest pain, breathing difficulty, dizziness, cough, headache, fatigue and coma,” he told Xinhua. “Based on the symptoms and the definition of methanol poisoning, it’s initially concluded that they died or became ill because they drank rice wine or herbal wine containing high levels of methanol.”
In full: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/asiapacific/2021-05/25/c_139969271.htm