A funeral in Cambodia took an even grimmer turn when 11 villagers died from suspected poisoning after drinking homemade rice wine, according to local police on Sunday. Ten others were hospitalized.
They were attending a funeral in Kampot province, southwest Cambodia, about 78 miles from capital Phnom Penh, according to an AFP report on Channel News Asia.
The latest deaths add to a growing number of people who have died from drinking toxic homemade alcohol. The Cambodian health ministry said in June that in the first quarter of the year, 31 people in three provinces died from suspected poisoning after drinking homemade rice or herbal wine, reported the Phnom Penh Post. High levels of methanol — a very toxic liquid — were found in batches the home brews, per the health ministry.
© 2021, All rights reserved.