Compensation Offered to Locals Affected by Jolie Film

Business owners living on streets in Battambang City that were blocked for a week while Angelina Jolie-Pitt directed her latest film, “First They Killed My Father,” have been offered formal compensation for their financial losses during filming, an official said on Thursday.

City governor Sieng Em Wounzy said that 164 affected business had been divided into three categories based on the extent to which filming had affected them.

Depending on their category, the businesses were offered $60, $100 or $125 in compensation.

Mr. Em Wounzy said the funds used to compensate the business owners came from a $12,000 donation from Netflix, the online streaming company that produced the film.

Not all business owners were satisfied with the offers.

Chhun Touch, who shares space in a barber shop with two friends, said the authorities had first offered him $40, and then raised the offer to $60 after he protested.

He said his shop would have earned much more than that in a week.

“Hollywood is the most rich and famous company in the world, so they might have given enough compensation to business owners at a reasonable price, but now the authorities just offer very little compensation,” he said.

[email protected]

 

Related Stories

Latest News

The Weekly DispatchA new weekly newsletter from The Cambodia Daily delivering news, analysis and opinion to your inbox. Published every Friday at 11:30am. Sign up today.